How to make Caprese Salad
– The perfect appetizer or side! This salad is layered with juicy fresh tomatoes, creamy fresh mozzarella, deliciously flavorful fresh basil, and it’s finished with rich extra virgin olive oil, and a mildly sweet and tangy balsamic glaze.
– 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
– 1 1/2 tsp honey (optional*)
– 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices (about 20 oz.)
– 16 oz. fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/3-inch slices
– 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 2 Tbsp, about 8 – 11 minutes.
– Whisk together balsamic vinegar and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat then reduce heat to low and let simmer until thickened and reduced down to nearly
– Pour into small bowl and let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
– Layer tomato slices, fresh mozzarella slices and basil on a rimmed serving platter.
– Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic reduction and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
*Honey may or may not be needed based on the brand of balsamic vinegar use (tartness/sweetness) and personal preference. You can omit if preferred or even increase the amount if preferred.
– This is also delicious with avocados slices, or a little minced garlic. Another option is to omit the balsamic glaze if preferred.