Cheesy Baked Goulash
How to make Cheesy Baked Goulash
– 1 pound ground beef
– 2/3 cup chopped onion
– Ground black pepper, to taste
– 2 teaspoons minced garlic
– 1 cup dry elbow macaroni pasta
– 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce (or 2 8-0unce cans)
– 1 jar homemade canned tomatoes diced, or 1 can low-sodium diced
– 1 teaspoon soy sauce
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 2 teaspoons dried basil
– 1 teaspoon dried parsley
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheeseHow to make it
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set a pot of water on to boil for the pasta. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the burger and chopped onions, then grind a bunch of black pepper over it. Cook until beef is browned and onions are translucent. In the last minute or so, add the minced garlic. Drain any grease, if needed.
2) When the water is boiling for the pasta, add the macaroni and cook until just before al dente, then drain and set aside. It will cook more in the oven. Meanwhile, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and herbs to the ground beef and stir to incorporate.
3) Or you can be like me and forget the parsley until later. Next add the cheddar cheese (or perhaps parsley if you forgot) and mix until cheese is melted. Stir in the cooked macaroni until combined.
4) Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish sprayed with oil. Top with the Mozzarella cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
5) Let rest about 5 minutes, then serve with buttered bread, and a salad if you want.