How to make Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake
– This simple cinnamon sugar apple cake is light and fluffy, loaded with fresh apples, and topped with a crunchy cinnamon sugar layer!
– 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
– 1/3 cup oil
– 1 egg
– 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar)
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 2 1/2 cups flour
– 2 1/2 cups chopped apples (see notes)
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1 tablespoon butter, melted
– Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix ingredients in order given, stirring until just combined.
– Pour batter into a buttered 9×13 pan.
– Combine last 3 ingredients to make a topping and sprinkle / spread it evenly over the batter.
– Bake for 45 minutes. Serve with honey butter or whipped cream if you want. APPLE CAKE IS THE BEST!
– Apples: I found that two average sized apples was about the right amount to get 2-ish cups of cut apples. For cuts/textures, see the photo and notes in the post! I like to use a crispy, sweet apple like Honeycrisp for this cake, but honestly, I think just about any type of apple would work.
– Types of Oil: Canola or vegetable oil is what I normally use, but olive oil is also really delicious in baked goods – it just has a unique, distinct, olive oily flavor. Also, I haven’t tried it yet but I’d be willing to bet that an equal amount of coconut oil or butter would work, too.
– Honey Butter: Mix 2-3 tablespoons softened butter with 2-3 tablespoons of honey. Add a sprinkle of sea salt if you want to take it over the top (you do).