How to make Light and Airy Cheesecake
12 graham crackers ground into crumbs
2 Tbsp sugar
5 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
2 lb cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sour cream
2 21 oz cans cherry pie filling
– Heat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter 9″ spring-form pan.
– Set on a large sheet of foil, bring foil up to cover sides of pan then set aside.
– The cheesecake will be baked in a water bath and this will help make the pan waterproof. Have all ingredients at room temperature.
– Place cracker crumbs and sugar in medium bowl and whisk to combine.
– Pour in melted butter and combine until all crackers are moistened.
– Press into bottom of spring-form pan and up sides about 1″. When thoroughly compacted, place in hot oven and bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
– Reset oven temperature to 325 degrees.
– In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, whip the cream cheese about 2 minutes until fluffy.
– Scrape bowl. Add sugar and combine 1 minute then scrape again.
– Add eggs one at a time on low speed, scraping again once combined.
– Now add zest, juice, vanilla and salt and mix only until combined.
– Add sour cream and combine on low for about 20 seconds.
– Pour cream cheese mixture into prepared pan.
– Have a roasting pan or large cast iron skillet ready and place the cheesecake in the larger pan.
– Pour hot water into the larger pan until the water reaches about halfway up the sides of the cheesecake.
Place both pans in the 325 degree oven.
– Bake for 80–90 minutes or until center is firm but still jiggly.
– Remove from oven and place on rack to cool.
– When cake is room temperature place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
– Just before serving, arrange 1 can cherry pie filling on top of cake. (We like lots of cherries and used most of a second can.)
– Serve this and get ready for the compliments!
ONE LAST THING
If you’re lucky enough for leftovers, your pie will keep in the refrigerator (covered, of course) up to 4 days!