Morning Glory Muffins
How to make Morning Glory Muffins
– 1/2 cup (71g) raisins or Jammy Bits, your favorite flavor*
– 2 cups (227g) King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
– 1 cup (213g) brown sugar, packed
– 2 teaspoons baking soda
– 2 teaspoons cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon ginger
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 cups (198g) peeled and grated carrots
– 1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and grated (or leave the peel on; your choice)
– 1/2 cup (43g) shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
– 1/2 cup (57g) chopped walnuts
– 1/3 cup (43g) sunflower seeds or wheat germ, optional
– 3 large eggs
– 2/3 cup (131g) vegetable oil
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup (57g) orange juice
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line it with papers and spray the insides of the papers.
2) In a small bowl, cover the raisins with hot water, and set them aside to soak while you assemble the rest of the recipe.
3) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt.
4) Stir in the carrots, apple, coconut, nuts, and sunflower seeds or wheat germ.
5) In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and orange juice.
6) Add to the flour mixture, and stir until evenly moistened.
7) Drain the raisins and stir them in.
8) Divide the batter among the wells of the prepared pan (they’ll be full almost to the top; that’s OK).
9) Bake the muffins for 25 to 28 minutes, until they’re nicely domed and a cake tester inserted in the center of one of the inner muffins comes out clean.
10) Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes in their pan on a rack, then turn out of pans to finish cooling. Wrap any leftovers airtight, and store at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.