How to make Ricotta Berry French Toast Casserole
– French Toast Casserole with SUPER EASY 5 minute homemade brioche, ricotta cheese, and berries. No canned biscuits! So delicious!
For the Brioche Dough:
– 4 eggs, beaten, room temperature if possible
– 3/4 cup butter, melted
– 3/4 cup warm water
– 1/4 cup honey
– 2 teaspoons salt
– 1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
– 4 cups flour (more as needed for dusting hands and surface)
For the French Toast Casserole Filling:
– 3 eggs
– 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
– 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
– 1–2 cups raspberries and/or blueberries
– Dough: Mix the eggs, butter, water, honey, salt, and yeast in a bowl. Add the flour and stir until just combined (you can just use a wooden spoon for this – no mixer necessary). Cover with plastic and set aside (at room temp) for about 2 hours or until puffy and sticky. Split the dough in half and freeze one half for later. Coat your hands and your surface with plenty of flour, roll out the remaining half batch, and cut it into bite sized pieces.
– Filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk the eggs with the ricotta cheese and honey. Add the bite sized dough pieces and the berries. Stir gently just once or twice to combine.
– Bake: Transfer to a greased 9×13 casserole dish and bake for 30-ish minutes, until the top is golden brown and the insides are fully baked. Sprinkle with powered sugar and syrup.