Cajun Potato Soup
How to make Cajun Potato Soup
* 1 1/2 pounds andouille sausage or smoked sausage, sliced
* 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (we used Old Bay)
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 (30 oz.) bag frozen shredded hash browns
* 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 1 (10. 75 oz.) cream of chicken soup
* 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
* 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated, plus more for garnish
* kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
* 1/3 cup green onion, optional, garnish
Optional: heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium high heat and sauté onion for 6-8 minutes, or until softened. Add sausage and cook until browned on all sides.
Season with salt and pepper and cajun seasoning, then add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together chicken broth and chicken soup until smooth and combined.
Transfer sausage and onion to slow cooker, then add potatoes and chicken soup mixture.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese to soup and cover and cook for another 10-20 minutes, or until incorporated and smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Serve hot, topped with green onions and more cheddar cheese. Enjoy!